Before you decide to hire an attorney make sure that the attorney is experienced in a particular area of law that you need help with and devotes most of his practice in that area of law whether it’s family law criminal law personal injury law or bankruptcy law each one of these areas of law has attorneys who specialize in that area of practice and they know the ins and the outs of that area of law.
When it comes to hiring a personal injury lawyer here are some questions we were given by AvantLaw.com that you should ask.
- Ask the attorney how long they’ve been doing personal injury work.
- Are they board certified as a specialist in civil trials.
- Are they board certified by the national board of trial advocacy.
- Ask them if they’re prepared to go to trial if that is what is necessary in your case.
- Ask and make sure that they have the financial resources to spend the money to pay for the investigation and for the costs your case will need before they start.
- Find out if they’re going to ask you to pay any of the cost up front.
- Ask them if they’ll handle your case on a contingency fee basis so that they only get paid if they make a successful recovery for you.
- And ask them how many times they’ve gone to a jury trial with a case like yours.
- Have they ever lectured and taught other lawyers about personal injury law.
- Have they written any books or articles regarding personal injury cases.
- Ask them about their knowledge regarding the medical issues in your type of case.
- And ask them if they just sign up clients and then referred them away if they can’t get a quick settlement.
These are the types of questions you need to know the answers to before you hire a personal injury lawyer. Don’t be afraid to ask the Attorney questions.
There are many lawyers out there who claim to be personal injury lawyers when in fact they have very little or no experience in filing lawsuits and going all the way to trial. Many lawyers will advertise a lot sign up cases and then just settlement and if they can’t settle your case they refer it to another attorney to do the hard work.
By hiring an experienced and qualified personal injury lawyer in the beginning you will benefit yourself by speeding your case along and avoiding many common mistakes and pitfalls that are made every day by attorneys who do not focus their practice on personal injury matters. One thing to consider when hiring a lawyer is that almost all personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. What this means is that the attorney is only paid if and when they make a recovery for you. Also since the attorney’s fees are the same if you hire a lawyer on the first day after your injury or if you wait and hire them weeks or months later why not take advantage of the guidance and advice of a board certified civil trial lawyer earlier in your case to help you avoid making mistakes they can end up costing you money later. I hope you found this information useful.